This is the first question that most people ask us:
Why are you adopting?
Well, this is a loaded question. There are so very many reasons why we are adopting! I will try and give you the cliff notes version.
1) We are adopting because God has put it on our hearts. I (Carrie) have had the desire to adopt since I was 15 years old. My church used to do missions trips to Romania to serve in orphanages. I watched a video of all those precious kiddos from one of the trips, and immediately knew that one day I wanted to take one (at least one) out of those terrible circumstances. In short, adopting is what I wanted to be when I grew up. Jonathan’s reasons are a little more logical. He sees the need in our world for good parents. He sees the need for a solid family unit to raise a child in, and desires to provide a refuge for a kiddo who would otherwise grow up with a less than desirable environment. He sees all these pregnant/scared momma’s out there who feel like their only choice is abortion. He wants to provide another answer. He wants to save 2 lives: the momma and the baby. He wants to provide hope…He wants to be a Superman.
2) Adoption is in our blood, literally. Both of Jonathan’s parents were adopted. He grew up in a family where adoption wasn’t just smiled upon and supported, it was in the root of his most precious relationships. Jonathan’s Pappaw is one of his biggest role models, and he chose to adopt Jonathan’s Mom. His Mom has nothing but respect, gratitude, love, and awe for her adoptive parents. She has researched some of her biological history and knows for a fact that she grew up in a safer, more stable, and more loving environment as an adopted daughter. She could not speak enough good about adoption, and has been personally impactful in Jonathan’s feelings about adoption throughout his life. Jonathan’s Dad is one of his most respected role models. He was adopted as well. Although his Dad does not know much about his biological past, he also impacted Jonathan with the importance to serve and love everyone. It only makes sense that Jonathan would carry this model into his own family unit. Everyone that he loves is connected by adoption, so it just makes sense to him. Carrie’s family has not directly adopted, but her brother-in-law is adopted. His story (along with his family) is so loving and inspiring! She had several childhood friends who were adopted, along with several of her adult friends who have now gone through the process personally. Why would we not want to do this?!
3) And, last but not least: we want to adopt because we long to be parents. We desire to have a family. We want to raise and disciple our children in the Lord. We have been adopted into a heavenly family! We believe it is important to teach that to our kids! We want to leave this earth, knowing that we poured ourselves into someone and loved them whole-heartedly, teaching them to love God and love others. Will we do this perfectly? Absolutely not! But, our goal is to do it well enough that it will leave an impact on our world!
This is our “why”.
The Lord has graciaously provided through an amazing organization called Josiah's Adoption Fund. They have awarded us a $4000 matching grant, administered by Lifesong for Orphans. We are so excited to see what God does next for the Davis family.
STRIPE charges an online processing fee (2.2% +.30 USD per transaction). Your donations will be decreased by this amount. You may also send a check payable to “Lifesong for Orphans”. In the memo line please write “Davis 09063”, to ensure it is credited to our account. Please mail to Lifesong for Orphans, PO Box 9, Gridley, IL 61744.
Lifesong has been blessed with partners who underwrite all U.S. administrative and fundraising costs (TMG Foundation and other partners). That means 100% of your donation will go directly to the adoption.
- In following IRS guidelines, your donation is to Lifesong for Orphans. This organization retains full discretion over its use, but intends to honor the donor’s suggested use.
- Lifesong is a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization. Individual donations of $50 or more and yearly donations totaling $250 or more will receive a tax-deductible receipt. Receipts for donations under $50 will gladly be sent upon request.