“Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD!” (Psalm 31:24). God’s words and promises are the themes of our adoption story. We have been married since 2008 and God’s faithfulness has been our song. We started trying to have children in 2014, but to no avail. In 2015 Brandon met with a local urologist for testing to look into why we could not conceive. The after months of appointments and even some invasive surgeries, the doctor left us with a response of “I simply do not know why. I can’t help you further. You will need to see a specialist.”
We were saddened by a lack of response and the haunting of the unknown. We had such a great desire to have children and were not able to, but the worst part was we did not know why. It was during this season that God was teaching both of us what it meant for us to wait on the LORD. We continued in prayer and during this season Brandon was committed to learning what God has in store for our family. He read all the Psalms each month and through this kept seeing God’s repeating pattern of calling His people to wait on Him. God was doing a work in both of our hearts that He has plans to bless us and work for our good, but in this season, was calling us to wait on Him.
Then one day, Brandon approached Crystal and simply said “I believe God is calling us to adopt.” At the time, Crystal was still looking for closure to the question regarding why we could not conceive. We made an appointment with a Specialist at University of Washington to help get some answers. Within 10 minutes of meeting with the doctor, he told Brandon that he believe he was born with a rare disease called Congential Bilateral Absence of the Vas Deferens, which prevented us from conceiving. This was the closure that Crystal needed and also the comfort and confirmation for what God was calling us to. As Crystal said “Through this He was calling us to begin the beautiful journey of adoption. Adoption had always been on our hearts as something down the road for us, but during our waiting, God was preparing us to make adoption our primary choice. We have always felt adoption is a beautiful narrative of bringing an outsider in and making them family, as God has done for us through Jesus. Jesus was made an outsider on our behalf so that we could be brought into God’s family and just as God has chosen us to be in His family, we will choose this child to be part of our family.”
Unfortunately, in March of 2020 our adoption agency closed their offices. In May of 2020 we became fully certified with our new agency, Lifetime Adoption to be able to move forward with our pursuit of growing our family.
We continue to wait on the LORD, to see what chapters he has written for our life, but are very eager to flip forward to the pages where we bring our child home. We are so thankful for the friends and family that have encouraged and supported us. We invite you to contiune your support and encouragement in a few ways:
1) Prayer: Pray that God would continue to reveal is good and glorious will for our lives, that he would protect and keep healthy our child(ren), and that he would meet our emotional, spiritual, and practical needs as we walk through our adoption journey.
2) Letters of Encouragement: As silly as it sounds, your words of encouragement and prayer mean so much to us. We actually keep a box full of encouraging letters in our home and look back upon them when we are discouraged to be reminded of God’s faithfulness and care he provides through friends and family.
3) Financial Support: Adoption is expensive but we are trusting in God’s provisions for our lives. We invite you to participate in this story through financial support as well. Cash/check donations can be mailed to Lifesong for Orphans or online donations may be received through Lifesong for Orphans website. There is more information about financial support options towards the bottom of this page.
Thank you for loving us and being a great support to what God is doing in our lives.
Brandon & Crystal Johnston
Financial Support Information
Checks or Cash:
– Make checks payable to “Lifesong For Orphans”
– In the memo line, note “Johnston/7158”. This will ensure your donation gets applied to our account.
– Mail cash or checks to Lifesong For Orphans, PO Box 40, Gridley, IL 61744.
– 100% of cash or check donations go directly to the adoption fund
-Click DONATE NOW above!
STRIPE charges an online processing fee (2.2% +.30 USD per transaction). Your donations will be decreased by this amount. You may also send a check payable to “Lifesong for Orphans”. In the memo line please write “Johnston 7158”, to ensure it is credited to our account. Please mail to Lifesong for Orphans, PO Box 40, Gridley, IL 61744.
Lifesong has been blessed with partners who underwrite all U.S. administrative and fundraising costs (TMG Foundation and other partners). That means 100% of your donation will go directly to the adoption.
- In following IRS guidelines, your donation is to Lifesong for Orphans. This organization retains full discretion over its use, but intends to honor the donor’s suggested use.
- Lifesong is a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization. Individual donations of $50 or more and yearly donations totaling $250 or more will receive a tax-deductible receipt. Receipts for donations under $50 will gladly be sent upon request.