Derek and I hoped and wanted to adopt since we were married in 2007, and began our process in Fall 2014 with the desire to adopt from Taiwan. However, due to God’s leading, we instead felt led to adopt from China’s Waiting Child Program. We are now honored to be the parents to two amazing sons: Jordan (home 2016, age 5) and Judah (home 2018, age 4.75). Yet we knew our family was not yet complete, and have been waiting on God’s timing and plan for us over the past 18 months.
We saw our daughter on our agency’s website list of Waiting Children in Taiwan in October 2019, and worked very hard and very quickly to submit the appropriate documentation required for adoption through Taiwan. After almost 9 excruciatingly long weeks, we finally heard on January 6, 2020, that we were matched with our daughter: Abigail Jade Yen Tanis.
How can you help us?
- Financial Gifts: Because the country of Taiwan requires two separate trips, our adoption costs are estimated to be around $30,000. Praise God, we are able to pay a good portion of this ourselves and continue to save and plan accordingly! We approximately have about half of that left, which includes all of our travel fees, legal and immigration expenses, and post adoption fees once she is home. We have been awarded a $3,500 matching grant by our church (Grace Presbyterian) through Lifesong for Orphans! Sending a financial gift can help lighten some of our cost and we hope that the funds raised here will completely cover the rest of our travel expenses, including airfare, lodging, transportation, etc.
- Pray, pray, pray: There are many things you can pray for! We would ask that you pray for God’s wisdom for our family to use our resources and time wisely, and to prepare all of our hearts for this new family member—a daughter and a sister—coming home. We also ask that you pray for a smooth process and for us not to be anxious about anything and to trust God for everything. Most of all, we ask that you pray for God to prepare AJ’s heart for this life changing and scary transition coming her way, as well as her continued health.
- Share our story! You can share this page, our Facebook group, and our family’s blog! We pray that by sharing we will not only have a fully funded adoption, but to encourage others considering adoption or also in the process of adopting their son or daughter.
We know that since we began our first adoption process a little more than five years ago, God has had his hand in every part of it. We are continually amazed at how He has worked in our lives and touched lives of others. We are thankful for our two boys that are now a part of our family, and look forward to Abigail joining our family sometime in 2020. Finally, we are in awe of the full circle that God has brought our family to within the last five years.
Thank you for reading our story!
Derek and Mary Tanis, Jordan and Judah
STRIPE charges an online processing fee (2.2% +.30 USD per transaction). Your donations will be decreased by this amount. You may also send a check payable to “Lifesong for Orphans”. In the memo line please write “Tanis 08922”, to ensure it is credited to our account. Please mail to Lifesong for Orphans, PO Box 40, Gridley, IL 61744.
Lifesong has been blessed with partners who underwrite all U.S. administrative and fundraising costs (TMG Foundation and other partners). That means 100% of your donation will go directly to the adoption.
- In following IRS guidelines, your donation is to Lifesong for Orphans. This organization retains full discretion over its use, but intends to honor the donor’s suggested use.
- Lifesong is a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization. Individual donations of $50 or more and yearly donations totaling $250 or more will receive a tax-deductible receipt. Receipts for donations under $50 will gladly be sent upon request.