Why adopt internationally?
Heather and I have known we wanted to adopt internationally before we even met one another. In fact, we discussed it on our very first date, and we’re so happy to finally be in the process. We have both worked with orphan care internationally through our mission work and knew that when we had the ability to provide a home for even just one of these children in need that we would do so. We are confident we are called to fulfill the Biblical call to take care of the orphan and the least of these through international adoption.
Heather and I traveled to India for a mission trip early in our marriage. While we didn’t have any feeling at the time that we would one day adopt from there, we were exposed to the great needs there – physical and spiritual.
As we started looking at the countries that our agency adopts from, I felt it important to choose a country with little Gospel presence. This left us with a short list and the time required in country brought India to the top. Over 1 billion people in India are unreached with the Gospel of Christ Jesus and likely will be for their entire lives. It’s our hope that our adoption process can shine the light of the good news that we’re all adopted into a life with Christ to not only our son or daughter but also those we encounter while in India.
Our big milestones so far are 1) we’ve completed our home study and 2) been approved by US immigration to adopt. We have 3 main steps remaining.
– CARA approval: The Indian governing body for adoptions looks at our paperwork and approves us to adopt. We’ve been waiting a few months on this. It could happen tomorrow or it could take a few more months.
– Matching: Matching specialists within our agency handle matching families with waiting children. This part could take around 6 months, but it’s truly dependent on the children waiting and the openness of waiting families.
– Wait to travel: We wait for all paperwork to finalize with Indian courts and judges before we travel to India for 1-2 weeks to get our child. This process is currently taking about 6-12 months.
Our total cost for the adoption is around $40,000. Through personal contributions, donations and fundraisers we currently sit at a little under $15,000. Fortunately, we have received a $5,000 matching grant from Lifesong, so your donations through them can count double.
Thank you for your interest and support in our journey through your prayers, your friendship, and your financial support.
~ Alex, Heather, Caleb, Judah and Cole Number 5
STRIPE charges an online processing fee (2.2% +.30 USD per transaction). Your donations will be decreased by this amount. You may also send a check payable to “Lifesong for Orphans”. In the memo line please write “Cole 08890”, to ensure it is credited to our account. Please mail to Lifesong for Orphans, PO Box 9, Gridley, IL 61744.
Lifesong has been blessed with partners who underwrite all U.S. administrative and fundraising costs (TMG Foundation and other partners). That means 100% of your donation will go directly to the adoption.
- In following IRS guidelines, your donation is to Lifesong for Orphans. This organization retains full discretion over its use, but intends to honor the donor’s suggested use.
- Lifesong is a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization. Individual donations of $50 or more and yearly donations totaling $250 or more will receive a tax-deductible receipt. Receipts for donations under $50 will gladly be sent upon request.